Sunday, October 30, 2011

Shave and A Haircut, Six Bits

Today, while visiting Sarnath, I finally got my Indian haircut. One of the things I like to do in each country I go to is to get a haircut and/or straight razor shave if possible.

While waiting for the museum to re-open, I went to one of the many street-side "barber shops" that are all around Varanasi and environs. I have been wanting to get one since Madurai, but because of my role in the Bishop Sargent movie, for continuity, I have not had a haircut since I arrived in India.

Today, my wish came true. After Hapiz, my trusted Tuk-Tuk driver from yesterday's phantasmagorical journey, persuaded the barber to take me in, as he first refused, probably not wanting me to pollute his stall. But, luckily, Hapiz is a very affable person and got me in.

For 50 rupees, just over a dollar, I got a great haircut, straight razor shave and scalp and facial massage under the banyan tree, while listening to the birds.

Paramananda.





No comments:

Post a Comment