Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Integrity of the Pose

Recently I wrote about the concept of guru parampara, or a lineage of teachers. Without my teachers in life, I would be nothing, that much I know. Within the interstices of Indra's Web I will be paying homage to these teachers, whether directly or indirectly, who are the ones in my life that have shaped me to be the person that I am today. I am forever grateful for them, even if I have never met them.

 Guru parampara extends into the discipline of Yoga as well. And, this entire Indra's Net would be remiss in its scope if I omitted my Iyengar Yoga teacher, Bekir Algan.

Bekir is a controversial teacher to say the least. He is human, he has his faults. I am not putting him on a pedestal as that would be disrespectful to everything that he taught me. What he did teach me, however, is the most important lesson of my life--the Integrity of the Pose.

Bekir holds a PhD in civil engineering and is of Turkish origin from the town of Ismir, Turkey. He is a persona non grata of Turkey for refusing to join the military, and as far as I know, has not and/or cannot return to the country of his birth, though he still speaks of Turkey daily. Most of his family died while he was in the States, but he was not allowed to return for their funerals. This does not make him a "better" person, but perhaps sheds light on him as a person.

I was a student of Bekir for nearly a decade and became a teacher of Iyengar under him for about half of that time. Although I fell off my practice for several years, I have returned to a daily practice of Yoga at some level and plan to teach once again. I will be taking daily Yoga lessons while in India as well as part of my program there.

There was the phrase, "the Integrity of the Pose" that Bekir had inherited from previous teachers that has since become crucial to well-being of the core of my mind and body. Bekir's own guru parampara is via Gabriella Giubilaro from Florence, Italy and who herself studied directly under B.K.S. Iyengar, the namesake of this type of yoga. There are several strains of yoga: hatha, kripala, bikram, ashtanga, iyengar, and others. This is not a plug for Iyengar, it is just the style that has worked for me best. I respect the adherents of other schools of thought, but Iyengar spoke to me physically, philosophically, spiritually, and because of Bekir.

Iyengar Yoga focuses on precision and uses "props" to help even a beginner get into the most difficult asana, or pose. It requires an extremely high level of participation from the teacher with every student in the class. An uninvolved Iyengar teacher is no teacher at all. In addition, it involves physical contact and is highly demanding on working with partners, something that is a major turn-off for many. Again, to each his or her own. I am not an evangelist. Iyengar is not for everyone.

In a typical Iyengar class with Bekir, someone would cry, someone would have a "breakdown" of emotions, someone might storm out the door, someone would openly criticize Bekir about what an ass he could be (Gabriella made Bekir look like a little puppy dog), or someone would, as Bekir would say with his gap-toothed grin, "see Jesus." There were epiphanies to be sure in his class.

Bekir would also drone on endlessly in class about, well, just about anything...kind of like Socrates and his horses. And, kind of like Socrates and his horses, if Bekir talked one more time about Red Snapper, people wanted to kill him. What many failed to notice is that during Bekir's monologues, our bodies were resetting, forgetting about how hard the pose we had just been in was. He fed off of the class and its energy. Some classes would mostly be talking. People would bitch endlessly about him, though, at any time, you may leave if you wish.

The Integrity of the Pose was when one was in the most difficult part of the pose. What do you do? Some yoga poses are extremely demanding physically, but also mentally. They can make you cry, cry like you have never cried before. You don't know where it comes from, but it comes from a very, very deep core. The Integrity is what you do with that awareness.

There are a few things that usually happen when you are turned upside down for example. People hold their breath. They get angry. They leave the room. They would curse Bekir (or whomever was the teacher). And so on.

Integrity is the "wholeness" of something. The integers that make up the sum. It is who you are.

In a difficult pose, the integrity was how you reacted. Bekir said that you should treat personal relationships like a yoga pose, you come out of them the way that you go into them, with integrity. During the pose, you may be frustrated, hurt, angry, but when you learn to breath, to let the pose become you, then you can regain integrity, breath, and release.

Today would have been the physical anniversary of a marriage that I have been in for a long time, but that time has passed. Had it not been for Bekir, I don't know if I could have maintained the integrity of the pose.

It is how I will be going into the next pose, India, with this in mind.

Namaste, Bekir.

8 comments:

  1. I heard on FB that Bekir has passed and came across your post in Google grasps for one more piece of him. Nicely written. It was my experience of him as a yoga teacher too but couldn't put into words.
    Namaste, Monica B-R

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found out as well, thank you Monica...I am deeply saddened by this news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found out about Bekir. Thank you for bringing to life our experiences with him. I took class with him 1991-2001 at ARC and he is the reason I became yoga teacher-- I remember I had been taking daily, sometimes twice daily, as many times as he taught -- and 6 months in he asked me to teach for him when he went to New Orleans:) I managed to delay the inevitable for a year, and then I knew I had to say yes.
    Bekir, I send you Love on your journey- may it be filled with Grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Courtney, I remember those classes with you so well. You were a true Bekir in you own way ;-). He also was the reason I taught and now teach Yoga again...I am eternally grateful.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing your words. I just learned of Bekir's passing this morning. I attended Bekir's classes from 1992 - 1993 in San Marcos and Austin. His classes were my initiation into mind/body training. I still hold his teachings close to me today. Blessings to you Bekir Algan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ally, indeed, his words, his teachings, his damn Red Snapper diatribes will never leave me. One of the most important persons in my life, for better or for worse. He was his own man.

      Delete
  5. Robert :) !! I’m so grateful you remember me! I remember you too! :)) Thank you for your words; I will keep them close. It’s one of the highest compliments I have ever received — Bekir and the principles of Practice that he taught and extracted from us as students and people have been a reference point for me ever since. I had been seeking for someone to hold me accountable to Life in this distinct way. He was part of my being before I met him, and he will always continue to be. May his soul always be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Courtney, You are most welcome. I use something I learned in his classes every day...My best wishes for you and all that you are doing. Robert

      Delete